Sunday, March 2, 2008

MEANDERTHALISM AND AMBIVERSIA


EXCERPT FROM A RECENT DIALOGUE WITH AN AUTHOR FRIEND

...anyway, glad you enjoyed the 'meanderthal' and 'ambivert' concepts... Peculiar notions that they be, they are kinda useful somewhat. And yes, certainly, feel free to use them or quote them or whatever. It's always funnish to have a role in introducing new words to the language!

As Elodiah likely explained, the definition occurred during a conversation with my sister some months back when she referred to us both as meanderthals. The word basically describes a weirdfunky sort of 'non-linear' (I prefer to think of it as an "integral") approach in day-to-day routine; much gets accomplished overall, though in what would appear to the outside observer as a randomly chaotic, disjointed (some would say dysfunctional) fashion. A friend visiting me for a couple days seemed quite distraught when observing the order in which I 'ordered' the various tasks of my day (wash two dishes, answer 3 emails, frame two paintings, was another dish, start a load of laundry, hang some art in gallery, return two phone calls, shop for a dinner that was two days away, answer 3 more emails and return two more phone calls and various other etceteras)...Then, said friend was equally flummoxed when she realized the magnitude of what had gotten done during my 'meanderthal-ings".

As for "ambivert" that's another strange but useful one and even kind of a weird double-entendre of sorts. It relates primarily to my own confusion. I think of myself as strongly introverted in having a substantial need for plenty of 'alone' time; time to create, time to work, time to ponder/meditate/whatever. And yet I apparently have sufficient gregarious/extroverted tendencies that come into play in conducting my business. And when that occurs, it's genuine enough (rather than "put-on" by necessity). Hence the "ambiversion" (ambivertigo? ambivertosis?). And to further confound the already dodgy-enough conundrum, I'm not even sure whether I'm "ambivalent" about my "vert"-ed-ness or if whether it's just too "ambiguous" for me to fathom (and hence the "double-entendre" aspect of the whole mess).

Good grief... Likely this is FAR more then you'd ever wanna know about such ludicrous matters but, there we have it, Hope this wasn't too loopy to follow.

If any further clarification might be in order, I trust you will advise accordionly,

Sincerely,

Armando Cuacuazah
Your Parenthetically-challenged Iceman in ThirdStone-land
_________________________________________________________

No comments: