Monday, March 10, 2008

Going Dutch (oughtta be some kinda award...)


Okay, I admit to having become pretty jaded about web-design over the last decade. I've (in my secret identity - shhhh!) designed a couple hundred websites for various clients over the last 11 years. I'm frequently been accused of being a purist or minimalist (and occasionally even a design nazi of sorts) for my insistence on sticking to straight, clean HTML, and avoiding
such "niceties" as Flash, scripts and clever mouseover "winkie-blinkies" even as I explain to those clients that the search engine rankings they so desperately covet tend to improve when things are kept simple.

From a different, user-oriented viewpoint though, I'm also somewhat bored with most sites that've invest copious amounts of design-time/money in creating pointless 'Bling' (ie: Flash doohickeys) that don't really have anything to say. They generally strike me as the mutant offspring of designers who've managed to sell their clients on how "essential" and "compelling" those sites would be if only the site owner would fork over the extra design time $$ to have them thoroughly "enhanced" (encrappinated) with majick fairy-dust blingification.

Okay, I admit, I'm in a crankier than usual mood today. Or at least I was until a few moments ago when my bro' Brian forwarded me a link to a site (
>http://producten.hema.nl/) that made me both take notice with regard to my rant points above and, more importantly, laugh my fool ass off.

I'm not gonna spoil the surprise so, if you'd like to know why, you'll have to visit the site. Not only is it a wackily brilliant Flash hack; it's clever and noisy and
silly-as-heck and even a bit anarchistic all at the same time. (in that you can't click any links to go anywhere on the site until it's completed its little meta bombast; you just have to wait 'til it's had it's way with you).

I should point out that I cannot read a word of Dutch but I'd still like to give these folks some kinda prize, whatever the heck the rest of their site might accomplish...I think Rube Goldberg would be proud of these folks!
________________________________________________________________________

No comments: