Sunday, August 10, 2008

ART'S STATE OF THE ART - BAD JUJU? ME THINKEE NOT!!

As many of you know, ThirdStone's primary business over the past thirteen years, has been the selling of art. Um, well, I mean that's still my primary biz? Isn't it? Huh? What's that you say - ThirdStone is now merely an "entertainment" business? Bullshit!

Oh, but wait; yes, I do have to agree that under the pummeling of our current economic trauma, art sales have, for most of the general public, and throughout much of the country, been rendered more-or-less irrelevant in their daily scheme of things.

Nor can I loftily proclaim their "importance" just because that happens to be my main business and source of income. Certainly not when nearly everyone I talk to has at least something to say about the astronomic costs of, not just fuel, but basic truly essential things like feeding their families and a variety of other crucial needs. And no surprise of course that buying art is rarely, if ever, on most people's needs of "basics"...

So while there are surely a few 'high horses' I could yet saddle up and mount, what's the point? Besides, truth be told, feeding those particular 'horses' is a budget strain I can't currently afford. (Hey, I mean, I like groceries too, y'know!)

I know it's been difficult for the wonderfully talented artists I represent to stand by and see plenty of excited visitors pass thru the portals of ThirdStone (in fact, seemingly more than ever) to be amazed and amused and thrilled by what they see and then realize that those same folks are so often leaving emptyhanded. Since I know most of the artists well, I know they're as economically challenged as the rest of us and often, even more so.

So what's my point here then with alla this whinyprattle?

Okay, here it is... Artmaking is fine. The art that's being made is finer than ever. The "market" is not. And won't be fine for some time to come. So will artists then cease making art? The good ones won't.

And then what does that mean for purveyors of art? The good ones, the ones who actually believe in the intrinsic value of what they show, will struggle to keep on keepin' on. and then do it some more.

And the rest of 'em? Do we actually care much?

No comments: